July 22, 2008

Turn around, she is one

Posted by Xun  |  2 comments

Turn around, she is one
turn around, she can talk
turn around, she can walk

How are you doing?
My baby, my own

That is how I think of Annya, who now is in China. And of Emma, when she was in China.

Annya will be back around the end of Ocotober. My sister still deligently sends me videos after videos. In those, I saw her crawling, babbling, now walking. Not yet a good walker, still feared of falling down, Annya dragged her legs while walking, as if an old man whose legs are hurting.

The same as Emma, she seems deft with her language. In the videos, my sister asked (all in Chinese, Sichuan dialect):

"who is a good girl?"
"Me"

How does a dog bark?
woof, woof

How does a duck quack?
quack, quack

How does a bufferfly fly?
She flapped her arms.

Call me big aunt.
Big aunt

...

Turn around
Where are you going
My little one, little one
Where are you going
My baby, my own

Turn around and you’re two
Turn around and you’re four
Turn around and you’re a young girl
Going out of the door

Turn around, turn around
Turn around and you’re a young girl
Going out of the door

Where are you going
My little one, little one
Little pigtails and petticoats
Where have they gone

Turn around and you’re tiny
Turn around and you’re grown
Turn around and you’re a young wife
With babes of your own

Turn around, turn around
Turn around and you’re a young wife
With babes of your own

Where have they gone
My little ones, little ones
Where have they gone
My babies, my own

Turn around and they’re young
Turn around and they’re old
Turn around and they’re gone
And we’ve no one to hold

Turn around, turn around
Turn around and they’re gone
And we’ve no one to hold

Where are you going
My baby, my own

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Read more

2 comments:

SH said...

"Turn Around" - pardon my ignorance, is this your original composition or is it from somewhere else? I like it!

Xun said...

No. It is kind of folk song in the 60s. I read in the New Yorker some time ago, and liked it very much.

back to top