April 01, 2006

Hot Mandarin Nanny

Posted by Xun  |  5 comments


China is in fast rise, this is a for-sure fact. I read about it, almost daily, about its "neckbreaking" speed in development, about its monstrous destruction it wrought to the environment; I hear about it, directly from my family in China, about the fast expanding of the classes of both the richer and the poorer; I feel it, sense it, from that my family, who used to struggle to put meals to the table, are now enjoying a quite comfortable life in SiChuan, and that many of my friends are now prospering. Sometimes I let out my sighs and envies to them (one of them is a senior assistant CEO in a big company, another an editor-in-chief in a big press), half seriously, "I wish I were in your place. Hey, maybe I should go back."

Only half seriously. I am only a happy and indifferent onlooker of China's progress. Despite all difficulties in language and adaptation, all legal barriers (sometimes this and that restriction put on me, a non-citizen, makes me feel humiliated and indignant), I feel I am more used to the life in America. I still want Emma to get the education and everything else in America. I am glad she is an ABC ("American born Chinese").

I think most Americans are the same too. Most Americans are still the proudest people, thinking they are the best, superior morally and economically. Those who are sounding alarms or exclamations about China consists of only a very tiny fraction of American people. They do not make a dent.

Or are tides rolling, sea changing? Maybe a little bit.

Today lured by its "lucrative" title, "Change diapers and make up to $100k", I saw a video clip on CNN. It is also titled as "Crazy about Mandarin" or "Chinese at the forefront of a new nanny craze" (I wonder if CNN has a database for storing 3 or 4 catch phrases for each news story). It features a middle-aged Chinese nanny teaches a 3-year-old white child, then the child's father, apparently an upper class white guy, talks about the needs of studying Chinese. It also talks about the high demand and thus the shortage of Chinese nannies. It says the trend is even catching on among middle class.

Wow. I was so delighted on two grounds: first, Emma has the advantage of being bilingual. One day, she definitely can swing the fence between America and China; second, I may consider changing career, becoming a Chinese nanny in New York. I am bilingual, high educated and highly qualified, am I not?

Saturday, April 01, 2006
Read more

5 comments:

Xun...I love staying at home and have never had a career. Try not to let other peoples view of success make you feel like you've missed the boat. You have your hands full raising a happy child. There's no other job in the world more important than that.

Leo said...

You are already a supper bilingual nanny.

Shahzad said...

I think you have done marvellously..and you have tremendous potential to reach further heights !!

Xun said...

Thanks you guys. You are wonderful

Anonymous said...

Family in Boca Raton, FL looking for a Mandarin Nanny. If you are seriously interested, please contact me at swimfin25@yahoo.com.

back to top