March 12, 2006

It is hard to find a preschool

Posted by Xun  |  4 comments


It is hard to find a decent preschool or day care. All I wish for is a decent preschool that has convenient, nice and affordable. I know. What I am wishing for already has conflicted elements. No preschool can be nice and affordable at the same time.

How to navigate and benefit from American school system? I have been given various advice, dire predications (No public schools. They are disasters.) since I was pregnant with Emma. When Emma was one, I started thinking/worrying about how to get her into a good preschool. But I did not set myself into active mode until she left for China last June.

Since then, I have searched online numerious times and visited about 6 preschools or the like. However, except one Montessouri school in Evanston, none fit in my fantasized baby's world. I was way too spoiled the look and feel of Children's museums. I was hoping for a great place with a lot of bright colors, rooms after rooms of project-based fun settings (a baby water plant, a mock Domini's, tree houses, loads of music instruments...), comfortable, baby-friendly, neat environment. A place you would be so happy so wanted to become a child again. Instead, I found most the preschools were a little messy, kind of dull.

However, what am I to want such a fantasy world? So I always quickly accepted the reality and asked about the availablity. But I was always told: "Fill out the application. We will put your daugher on the wait list." "No, we are full right now." "No, there is unlikely a spot available next spring. Call us in the fall".

...

My mom always complains that everything is easier in China, fresh groceries, shopping centers within walking distance. I never could feel her pain. However, in terms of a good child care center, a "children's garden", she is abosultely right. Emma was accepted right at the spot when my parents took her to a very very good children's garden, located 2 blocks away.

Well, it is easier to spend dollars in China. With a little luck, I probably can land into the "haves" category, so Emma's education would be a piece of cake; but here I am a "have-not", doomed to struggle

...

Sunday, March 12, 2006
Read more

4 comments:

Spindrift said...

Hi, I was just wandering the blogosphere and here I am at your blog. I enjoy the style of how this all works.

This is one to watch.

Cheers,

marriott time shares

Xun said...

thank you for the nice comments.

Shahzad said...

Hi,
nice to know your daughter is back!

Hope you are having a nice time!!

waic said...

Thanks for stopping by The Cove awhile back. I was thrilled that you liked my little drawing and I am very happy that your daughter is now back with you. What an amazing experience for her though to keep in touch with her grandma in China. :) Good Luck to you with all that you do!

back to top