January 07, 2006

Happy New Year. We are singing, dancing, ... crying

Posted by Xun  |  2 comments

Crying Contest between Emma and a Cartoon Holidays and birthdays seem (to me) to belong especially to children. Parents bear the holy mission to make kids excited and happy. And kids always look forward to holidays.

I used to look forward to holidays, especially during the years when China was so poor and we were so poor, when even basic things like meat, cookies and clothes were precious commodities. I remember we recited rhythms such as "How good is the New Year's day. On that day we could have chicken to eat." When I was in elementary school, I had a best friend who was the daughter of the mayor. I remember how I was constantly jealous of the bounty of gifts and full red envelops with money inside she got on those special days.

(I wonder if I would be the same if we / China were not so direly poor. Or would I be more greedy, desperate for more things. Isn't it true that now IPod is the least expensive thing in a kid's wish list?)

Then I got older, I left home, became alone, lonely a lot of time. Holidays or birthdays gradually lost the appeal. What is the point if the sole entertainer and entertainer is just myself? Besides, who needs that much fuss? The decorating, undecorating, the running around, putting up a happy face pronouncing "hey I am happy". If I want to pamper myself, I do not need an excuse or holiday.

Then I got a family and a little daughter. Cannot be selfish, totally not-fun any more. So holidays, western or eastern, again invade us with full force. Birthday cake and songs for birthdays, trees and glass balls of all colors for Christmas (if Emma really asked this very traditional question about Santa, what should I say?).

Emma spent this new year's day in China. She, dressed in traditional red and black, faced painted, ponytails pointed to the sky, together with a group of other little children, became the entertainers of the new year's day. She did not quite master the art of performing, though. Somewhere in the second show, she spotted my mother then open her mouth and cried pretty loudly. No sign of embarrassment.

But she got her cake as reward. And my mom said she did the first show very good. She probably developed some sort of stage fright during the second show.

I called her that night, she was so excited. She sang happily to me, Chinese first, then English, "Happy New Year. Happy New Year. ... We are singing, we are dancing. Happy New Year!"

Bravo!

Saturday, January 07, 2006
Read more

2 comments:

test said...

I just lost all of the comments. So I reinstalled blogger comments. Here is just a test

leo said...

Cute Picture. Nice Writing.

back to top