December 17, 2005

How to make a complex movie, eg., Syriana

Posted by Xun  |  No comments

I got it. To make a complex movie, especially on a global scale, you should just throw in one plot in every 5 minutes. Each plot must be fast-paced and sleek and scattered in different important places around the world, like Geneva, Beirut, Persian Gulf, and Washington is a must for a complex political movie. And remember, keep the characters uttering some theme-related words, like key words in a article that is aimed at search engines, for example, oil, heir, merger, synergy, so we all know this is about oil, big oil companies. Sure, to soften up the movie, add some wives, kids for decoration purposes. To keep relevance to the current society, put some plots referring some contemporary events, for instance, quote torture methods used on Falun Gong, or illustrate how a young man became a suicide bomber as a side note.

This is how Syriana is, at least to me. Despite the many reviews I have read, much admiration I have accrued because of the reviews, I walked out the theatre wondering what a big mesh and mess of plots I have just seen.

I went back to the reviews of the movies. Rogers Ebert thumbs up the movie and says the following: "The movie's plot is so complex we're not really supposed to follow it, we're supposed to be surrounded by it ..." There it is. Feeling like a child, watching up adults dress like important, talk like important, act like important, therefore obliged to admire, thinking "hey, it must be important."

I have seen this guy's movie "Traffic", also very complex, but I managed to follow and enjoyed tremendously. But this one, I lost.

Saturday, December 17, 2005
Read more

0 comments:

back to top