December 18, 2005

Brokeback Mountain

Posted by Xun  |  No comments

Better not read the book if you were to see the movie, especially if it is a good movie. This is all I can say about "Brokeback Mountain".

I read the novel, a short fiction published in The New Yorker. I chewed the dialogues, especially the now overly quoted one-line philosophy: "If you can't fix it, you got to stand it."

Or the dialogue:
"This is a one-shot thing we got going on here."
"Nobody’s business but ours."
"You know I ain’t queer."
"Me neither."


...

So when the movie began, I anticipated its unfolding, eagerly waited for Ennis (Heath Ledger) and Jack (Jack Gyllenhaal) to utter the words, say them exactly as I knew. I viewed the scenes and scenes of rocks, clouds, forests and rolling mountains as recalled the sentences in the original novel. I studied the pained and aged face of Ennis, thinking this was a face too old for an 19 year old. I think Jack is too handsome for the novel Jack Cowboy...

I tired myself.

Only toward the end, did I gradually pulled myself out of the novel, the words and sentences humming in my head and pained with the old tired miserable resigned Ennis.

I like the song played when the movie ended,
"Never had much money
Never quite satisfied
He is a friend of mine"

"Love under siege".

Sunday, December 18, 2005
Read more

0 comments:

back to top